I specialize in plain language writing, copy editing and proofreading of:
- newsletters and promotional materials
- proposals and contracts
- educational materials
- business correspondence
I will make sure that your content is clear, concise and correct.
Additionally, with over 20 years of experience in the graphic design/layout field and in print production, I have the expertise to proof digital and printed mock-ups.
Description of Services Offered:
Plain Language Writing
Plain language writing addresses a reader’s needs, taking into account their knowledge and past experience. If I am asked to write in plain language, I will get to know what the reader’s needs are through research and interviews, then write (or adapt previously written information) in a language, style and format that ensures our reader can:
- find what they need
- understand what they find
- act on that information.
This is what I typically cover when I am copy editing:
- editing for grammar, spelling, punctuation and other mechanics of style
- checking for consistency of mechanics and internal consistency of facts
- marking head levels and approximate placement of art.
Other copy editing tasks that can be requested are:
- adapting language to Canadian usage
- writing or editing captions and/or credit lines
- writing running heads
- noting verbose or confusing passages and structural problems
- checking all headings, graphs and charts against the table of contents
- verifying consistency of typographical style in headings and in graphic material.
This is what I typically cover when I’m proofreading:
- reading proofs of edited work
- identifying typographical errors, and/or bad word, line, or sentence breaks.
Other proofreading tasks that can be requested are:
- checking for editorial inconsistencies or problems
- reviewing design specifications, such as page layouts and typefaces.